Featured post

3-Week Southeast Asian Trip Itinerary!

Viceroy Bali, The #1 Resort in the World I love to travel! I really do! So, for 3 weeks I traveled to Bali (Indonesia), Kuala Lumpur &...

Monday 14 October 2013

Penang, a Must-Visit Place in Asia!!!


at Batu Ferringhi Beach



Penang is often known as "The Pearl of the Orient" and "Food Capital" as being described by my favorite travel host Anthony Bourdain. But, it was the Batu Ferringhi beach when being featured in TLC that catches me to make Penang as my next travel destination.

It was last August, when I visited this beautiful island of Penang for 2 days and 1 night only or over the weekend.  Penang is just less than an hour flight from Singapore via Tigerairways and I stayed at Hydro Hotel , a 4-star hotel in Miami Beach.  From Penang Airport, Hydro Hotel is around 30-45 mins. drive and only 5 mins. away from Batu Ferringhi Beach.









De Luxe Room
My view from my room



Hotel's restaurant




On the same day, I requested for a car service in the hotel to become my Tour Guide in Penang. The hotel concierge was able to find me a good rate that costs S$10 per hour which I rented for 4 hours (from 2pm to 6pm). Here are the places I decided to visit among 15 destinations.


Travel Location Map

1. Reclining Buddha Temple (Wat Chayamangkalaram)

The Reclining Buddha Temple (Wat Chayamangkalaram) is located at Burma Road (Lorong Burma), Pulau Tikus, Georgetown, Penang, Malaysia. The temple can be seen on the road from Georgetown to Batu Feringghi. It is located right across of the Dharmikarama Burmese Temple. (Wat Chayamangkalaram Entrance is FREE)

















2. Standing Buddha (The Dhammikarama Burmese Buddhist Temple)

is situated along Burma Lane in Pulau Tikus and was founded on 1st August 1803, the temple was known as "Nandy Moloh Burmese Temple" then. This place of public worship was purchased by Nonya Betong from George Layton, granted by Sir George Leith Baronet, LT. Governer of Prince of Wales Island, for 390 Spanish Dollars and donated to the temple. (Dharmikarama Burmese Entrance is Free)










3. Khoo Kongsi Temple in Georgetown

Leong San Tong Khoo Kongsi or Khoo Kongsi is one of the most distinctive Chinese clan association in Malaysia. It is well known worldwide for its extensive lineage that can be traced back 650 years ago, as well as its closely-knit and defensive congregation of buildings and a magnificent clanhouse (Entrance fee is S$4)

















4. Fort Cornwallis

History dated back to the starting point where Sir Captain Francis Light from the British East India Company, first landed on the island with his crew in the year 1786. He was to take possession of the island from the Sultan of Kedah back then, to serve as a base or a stop-over for the British company's spice and silk trading route (Entrance fee of S$1)
















5. Penang Bridge


From Georgetown, I decided to ask my tour guide to bring me where I could have a "good glimpse" of the bridge, since he mentioned that it would take us more than 30-45 mins. for us to reach there.









6. Batu Ferringhi Beach 

Where all the fun and exciting water activities happened like jet ski, water sailing and banana boat. Batu Ferringhi, situated along the coastal road north-west of Georgetown and lined with a string of international- standard resorts, is the most popular beach in Penang. Soak in the sun or unwind on the beach while you enjoy a host of aquatic thrills from wind-surfing to canoeing. For a spine-tingling adventure, try parasailing to enjoy the view of the beach from the sky.







12 comments:

Unknown said...

Very interesting Sharing friend! Your images are very nice and interesting. It presents the very enjoyable place. I see your blog i must try to go there and enjoy these activities that you mention in this blog. I am going to niagara falls tour with my family to enjoy the summer vacation. After come back I must go in this region. Keep on Sharing!

Unknown said...

I agree with jANI your shared information and images are very helpful for all travelers. I have been visited Penang a year ago with my wife. But after reading your blog I want to go there again and want to see those places that I have not visited my first tour. I want to use bestbustour is this a best choice for me what you think?

Unknown said...

Very informative blog dear Vinabelle Hermoso! I have visited Ferringhi Beach but I stayed at Holiday Inn Resort during my Penang tour. Now after visiting your blog I wish to have a lovely stay at the Hydro Hotel. Next I am going to Penang for a business meeting after my Yellowstone family trip and must visit this hotel. Here I need some guideline about the cheap Yellowstone tour package from San Francisco and want to know about any affordable family resort too. Vinabelle Hermoso! Can you solve my problem?

Unknown said...

jANI Jack you have mentioned that you are going to Niagara falls tour. If I want to go there then what should I have to bring there necessarily. Do you want to share any tip according to this trip for me? I’ll be glad to know your suggestion.

VinaTraveler said...

Hi Jani Jack,

Thanks for the compliment on my blog. Indeed, it was a nice and enjoyable short trip. Hope you could visit Penang soon. Stay near in Batu Ferringhi Beach to enjoy this place.

Ask me anytime if you want something to know more about Penang.

Cheers!!!
Vinabelle

VinaTraveler said...

Hi Howard,

Thanks also for the compliment. Taking bus is cheaper but longer, but totally depends on you if you want more affordable. Since I have limited time, 2 days only to spend in Penang, what I did was I rented a car and asked the driver to take me to those places where I wanted to be. Penang has a cheap rate of taxi fare around so, I did not mind :))

Cheers!!!
Vinabelle

VinaTraveler said...

Hi David,

Thanks for your compliment on my blog. Yes, Hydro Hotel in Penang is a good hotel to stay, it's just 5 -mins drive in Batu Ferringhi Beach. As for your inquiry on Yellowstone family trip, I'm based in Singapore, unfortunately I cannot suggest anything on that. But, happy to help anything you ask about ASIA trip.

Cheers!
Vinabelle

MEER ATIQUR RAHMAN said...

discoverworldwide. Very nice post regarding Penang. It seems to be very attractive place and I would like to visit this place. thanks

Unknown said...

Very interesting article! Long time I am looking for a website that offers clear insights about tourist Places to Visit in Malaysia . My long term search end here and your website are really stunning.

VinaTraveler said...

Thank you for the good compliment on my blog!

Cheers
Vinabelle Hermoso

VinaTraveler said...

Thank you for the good compliment on my blog!

Cheers
Vinabelle Hermoso

Unknown said...

That looks an awesome place. I'm gonna try to visit it. I'm pretty sure me and my friends are going to love it. Check out the Cloverleaf, you'll love it too. Anyway, Thanks for sharing!